Starting a new student organization is a great opportunity to enhance the campus community and create a unique space for other students to gather around shared values!
- How can you distinguish your organization from all existing student organizations?
- What do you hope to accomplish in your organization? What are your goals?
- How will you reach out to potential new members and ensure that your organization is sustainable?
Recognition Process for New Student Organizations
All student organizations must be approved for University recognition by TCU Student Organizations.
The Office of Student Organizations will review all applications and will take into consideration the following: diversity of programming and membership, the likelihood of sustainability, merit, and qualifications of the proposed organization, and constitution policies.
Institutional recognition may not be granted if the policies and practices of the organization are in conflict with the University; or if the organization’s proposed activities will expose the University to unmanageable liability risks.
Any student wishing to form an organization should complete the following steps*:
* Note: Undergraduate students must have completed one (1) full semester (fall or spring) at TCU to start an organization. There is no such requirement for graduate student participation.
1. Meet with Student Organizations. Schedule a meeting time with a representative from the Office of Student Organizations to discuss your organization and review the application process.
2. Secure an advisor. An advisor may be a member of the full-time faculty or a staff member, chaplain/clergy and/or an officer in an ROTC unit. Be sure that the advisor has an understanding of your mission, goals and activities as an organization and has time to dedicate to your group.
3. Find interested students. Secure ten (10) students who are in good standing with the University. See Membership Requirements for Student Organizations in the Student Organization Handbook.
4. Submit the “Request to Charter New Organization” form to TCU Student Organizations during the designated recognition period. The application can be found in the "Forms" section of OrgSync or by clicking HERE. **Please note that new organization applications are accepted in September -October for the Fall semester and January - February for the Spring semester. No new organizations will begin during the summer. It is encouraged to make an appointment with the graduate assistant before those dates to be sure of the necessary steps.**
The application will require completion of the following actions:
5. Attend the mandatory New Organization Orientation (President & Advisor will be notified of available times). The president of the organization and the advisor are both required to attend this training.